Church

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Monday, October 28, 2013

Arizona

Week 42

     I would hate to be in Flagstaff after going though the summer here.  Let's see what is going on here. I'm in a new area, so hopefully you didn't send any Halloween packages to me there.  If you did it's not a big deal, I'll get them eventually.  Transfers are in a week, so I'll just wait till it happens before I send you my new address, because it could change.  We had a baptism on Saturday.  She was a 60 year old women named Glenda, who loved the way she felt when around LDS people and says that she could see the spirit with them and that's why she was interested.  She also described her feelings after baptism as floating on a cloud and can't wait for Sundays, to take the sacrament and feel like that every week.
     There is another baptism scheduled for the 9th, a 14 year old girl named Jenny.  I could get transferred next week, so I might not be here for that.  Jenny's mom is a less active member who is pretty much active now.  Facebook is going really well it's a great tool.  Teaching in person is always better than teaching online.  I haven't done any church tours since I have been in this mission, but I only did like 1 or 2 in the other mission; but there are some areas that do like Flagstaff YSA ward missionaries. They do their studies at the church and anyone can just go in from like 8-10 Tuesday through Saturday, I think, and get a church tour.  That just depends I guess on the area.  It could start to happen more places, I don't know though.
      I haven't seen an age group that has more success than others and the same with money (even though I'm sure there is a difference when people have a lot of money), but I just got put in one of the most rich areas in our mission and haven't noticed a difference at all.  Then again I have only been here for almost a week now, so I can't really say.  We always have more focus on the Book of Mormon because that's what everything depends on.  If it is true or not.  If they know it's true then everything else should (not always, because people are stupid) be easy.  There isn't one thing that is hard for people to accept, some are completely fine with tithing and some aren't.  Some believe in Joseph Smith right away and others take more time. There really isn't any trend at all.  I don't have a favorite thing to teach.
     Yes I would say my testimony has grown even though I haven't learned a whole lot of new things. Like I would say when I was growing up in primary, I didn't like the classes at church because they were boring and the same every year.   Good thing they completely changed the whole program only a couple of months ago.  It will be so much better now.  The gospel is pretty simple and that's how it should be.  By trying to make it complicated we just miss what's important: Our testimony and how we feel.  Often it's not things that we learn that have a great impact on us, but the things that we have always known.  We just need to hear them or read them at the right time, to get the greatest effect.  Or that's how it is for me.  I hardly learn something new (I do learn new things, but it's not constant).  But just being reminded of things that I all ready knew, just might not have thought about in a while, have an impart on me.  Besides it really doesn't matter what deep doctrine I might learn.  There's not any deep doctrine that is necessary for anyone to know.  Like I said the gospel is simple, the commandments are simple and the question everyone needs to answer for themselves is simple, Do I know my Savoir?  I hope we can all answer this last question with a yes, whenever we hear something that is true we will surely know it.  Knowing the Savoir will lead us to have a desire to do his will and follow him.  Knowing our Savoir means wanting to give anything up to follow him the best we can.  So do you know your Savior?
From,
Elder Swift

No comments:

Post a Comment